Monday, July 13, 2009

Ok, so not all of them...

That last post probably made me seem mean. Sorry. I'll explain. I don't think my kid is the only cute kid in the world, though she is pretty darn cute, and there's no denying it. Even unbiased sources have told me that she's adorable. I take those with a grain of salt, of course, as people tend to allow lies to spew out of their mouths in order to be given access to the baby they are complimenting. I don't know what it is with people (especially strangers) and babies. But that's another topic for another day. As far as the lying goes, that's where my statement from last post comes in. I don't and I won't lie about other babies being cute. I can call them sweet or single out particular features of theirs that might not be offensive to look at, but I will never give false compliments to ugly babies. And there are ugly ones out there. It simply cannot be denied. And there are cute ones... which cannot be denied either.








Which then of course begs the question of the subjectivity of beauty. We once caught part of a Discovery Channel special on that topic, and honestly, it all seemed like a bunch of baloney to me, so we changed the channel. I really think it boils down to what each individual's standard of "cuteness" or "beauty" is. As far as judging babies, it really just depends on who's looking. On Facebook, I see many, many baby pictures (not just my own!), and I always chuckle at the titles of the albums, "(Name of child) is the cutest baby on earth!" or "The cutest baby ever." What strikes me as funny is that the parents who label their kids' albums that way are the ones who actually have the least pleasant to look at babies. As parents, of course we think our kids are the cutest and best kids out there. We'd be bad parents not to. But, there is definitely something to the phrase "a face only a mother could love."

No comments:

Post a Comment