Friday, February 3, 2012

FFFF

I was invited to join in on a Day of Prayer and Fasting today in support of the US Bishops, and the Church, in its opposition to the HHS mandate issued by the President of our country. So I did. But as a nursing mother, I know I cannot fast from food (even if I'd like to in order to help lose that baby weight). Instead I fasted from Facebook. Having an iPhone lends itself to the ability to constantly check emails, Facebook updates, and more. It's a (sometimes welcome) distraction, but a distraction nonetheless. So last night, at 11:38pm, I deleted the Facebook app from my phone. And I won't get it back until the day is over. I'll admit that I was hesitant at first. Why? It's no big deal, right? Except that as a Stay-at-Home Mom, it is my line of communication to the World beyond the walls of my house. Playdates are scheduled, venting sessions are held, requests for advice made, photos of cute/interesting things somebody's kids did/made are shared... All on the social network we begrudged to the rest of the world when we were college students. Now Facebook is an almost necessary tool in the prevention of boredom and total isolationism. All that said, aside from wondering if my friends/fellow mamas were having as much fun as I was on a rainy day with a difficult preschooler and her teething-rolling-because-she-can't-crawl-yet baby sister, I disn't miss it that much. I don't know what I was afraid of. Yes I do. Disconnectedness. But what I realized is that it's ok to be disconnected every now and then. That way, I can be more connected with the moment, with rolling on the floor with Katie, or picking flowers in the mud with Ellie... Without feeling the need to respond to every ping and ding made by a small rectangular device. In that spirit, I think I'm going to try something new, and I call it: Fast From Facebook Fridays, which will be exactly what the title implies. 24 hours. One day a week. No social networking. So... If something major happens on a Friday, somebody better call me!

No comments:

Post a Comment