Thursday, April 19, 2012

Losing Count

Last week, my little big girl turned 4. Last  weekend, we celebrated with a big party. Months of planning yielded perfect results; I couldn't have been more pleased with the way it all went down, and the birthday girl really enjoyed herself too. And our friends and families were so generous with Ellie and gave her some truly thoughtful gifts, like a monster truck shaped like a shark because she loves sharks. And a princess jewelry box that came with bracelets and some pretend makeup which she insists on "putting on" right before we leave to go out. Every time. And many other gifts that reminded me just how loved my girl is... And how eclectic her interests are.

Of course, my parents drove down for the event, as did my brothers, and it was wonderful to have us all here, together. I know it put joy in my dad's heart to watch his grown-up kids jump together in the bounce house. And my mom is always thrilled when all of us are under the same roof again, especially with the grandbabies now too.

My mom never fails to amaze me. How does she manage to play with my kids, feed them, bathe them, keep the toys picked up, AND wash my dishes?! She's the dishes fairy! When she's here, there is never a dish in the sink; I couldn't do that if I tried... And she does it all so effortlessly. Maybe I'll be that way when I have grandkids of my own. I hope so. I know it's all out of love. She enjoys all the right parts of life with enough time to get some chores done too. I wish I could find that balance.

The day after Ellie's party, I took her to the party of one of her classmates. (Talk about a busy weekend!) While there, her maturity really shone. She played with and around her friends, but she can become overwhelmed easily in large crowds, and at one point, she came to me saying, "there are too many people, mom," and reached for a hug. Instead of throwing a fit. After we had cake, I let her go play for "five more minutes" (mommy minutes, which could actually be anywhere from 3-10 minutes). When I decided time was up, I went to her friend's room to retrieve her, told her it was time to go, and she started to put away the toys she had been playing with. Without being asked. Or throwing a fit. I was so proud.

Before attending that party, we had church, where my Katie "sang" with every song and even in between, so I found myself pacing with her in the back of the church and letting her crawl around with her inflatable hammer, making loud noises and being her cute self.  I love how much she loves that thing. And while I wish I could sit with the rest of my family for all of Mass (and be able to pay better attention and be more prayerful), I "secretly" enjoy letting my baby crawl around God's House. I think He enjoys it too. And He uses all things for good. As I paced with her, I saw some pamphlets near the entrance of the church which contain information that could be useful in amping up my spiritual life, something I have been longing for a while now. I haven't read them yet, but God will provide time for that too.

After church and before the party, we stopped by our under-construction house. About a month, or a little longer, is all that stands between us and moving time. It's so exciting to see it all happen. It's so sweet to see how excited Paul gets, how eager he is to get in it and make it our home. Being who he is, he already has it all planned out, even though we don't have a closing date! And I love him for it. I love being excited together, going through this stage in our lives together, amazed at the sheer fact that we are doing this, that we are where we are, that we have what we have. And so thankful.

Some days, I lose count of all my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment