He wrote about flipping through her diary, which (I'm not entirely sure why) made me panic at the idea of anyone I know reading my (paper) diaries once I'm gone. The reason for this: I often wrote when I was angry or extremely sad or conflicted; in short, I was compelled to write mostly when I was experiencing negative feelings... namely about several of the people who would end up reading these things. I resisted the sudden urge to burn all my angsty writings (though now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I keep them either; I haven't written in them in many years), and decided to, at the very least, no longer leave records like those. Because who wants to read about those feelings once I'm not here? No one wants to remember me like that (I hope). I guess back then my approach to journaling was more therapeutic than anything else. Now I see it as a record, of sorts, and I don't want the deep dark thoughts I wrote in the past to be my only history.
He also quoted an entry, and the things she wrote made me wonder two things: 1) Is she for real? and 2) How can I be that positive and happy? Of course, I know the answer to the first question. She was the most genuine teenager ever to set foot in my classroom. The answer to the second question, well, I don't even think she knew because she just was. It was her gift. Maybe that's why she's with Jesus now. She didn't need to do all the questioning and hard living that we hard of heart folks do. She never gave up her faith of a child, so she got the reward that much sooner, leaving us even more bewildered.
But she still has an impact today, months after heading home.
Thinking about journaling in this way, as well as listening to the first song and thinking about everything I want to say to my daughter, I've decided that I'm going to start a new paper diary. For Little. I'm going to write to her. I figure that right now, I think she's perfect. Right now, she's innocent and can do no wrong in my eyes. Right now, I feel so much deep unconditional, can-barely-put-into-words love for her. She is still an empty canvas, waiting to be painted on by life. She is growing and learning and forming who she is like a lump of clay, each day more close to resembling the human form she will become, but still pure and unadulterated by the world. Right now, I have so much to say to her that she will need to know later, after feelings get hurt, disappointments are made, people say things they don't mean, and time sweeps us away into the cloud of busyness and chaos that is life, so right now, that I have a clear slate to write on and a (somewhat) clear mind to write with, I will tell her what I think she needs to know, about herself, about me, about what our life is like now, and to know that no matter how life changes us, she always will be loved.
So turn around you’re not too far
To back away be who you are
To change your path go another way
It’s not too late you can be saved
If you feel depressed with past regrets
The shameful nights hope to forget
Can disappear they can all be washed away
By the one who’s strong can right your wrongs
Can rid your fears dry all your tears
And change the way you look at this big world
He will take your dark distorted view
And with His light He will show you truth
And again you’ll see through the eyes of a little girl
No comments:
Post a Comment