It does feel satisfying and gratifying to share my understanding of things with other people. Maybe that's what drew me to teaching. Oh, who am I kidding? It was the idea of grading papers and the school supplies. (If only I had known!) Last night, I got to share my (oh so limited) knowledge of NFP with two young wives who are currently childless and wanting to stop taking birth control pills for various reasons. It was nice to know that I was sharing information with them that is good and positive for their lives; it almost felt like I was ministering to them in a relatively inobtrusive way. I tried my best to not sound preachy and only give them the information they needed to hear, and I hope that I was helpful. I also really like discussing faith issues, but in a positive way. I get so turned off when people become argumentative. I feel like nothing productive can be accomplished then. A lot of times, I just want to surround myself with like-minded people so I don't have to deal with those who cannot keep their emotions out of their arguments. I'm a very logical person who has emotions too. I need an explanation for things, and once I find one that suits me, I accept it as truth and move on. It makes me happy to have things ordered that way. Today, I discovered someone who shares my same feelings about not having a second child. One of the children's librarians, who has a son the same age as Little, and I were talking at the end of Book Babies today, and we got on the topic of not being ready for a second child as well as being completely satisfied with the child we have now. I know that people don't go for a second because their first is unsatisfying (or maybe some do?), but usually people do it because they feel like their families are incomplete without more kids. I feel complete. Now. It was nice to find someone who thinks the same way I do; I was starting to feel like a weirdo. I don't want a second child, and I don't know if I ever will want one, and I'm totally ok with that. I don't think people who want another kid are strange; it's just their choice and if that's what they want, that's great! As for me, no thank you.
I am happy with what I believe. I am happy with the choices I've made. I won't preach them or shout them from the rooftops, but I will blog about them. That way, in many years, I can look back and see what a fool I am being right now (if that's the case).
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Are you kidding me? I became a teacher to grade papers. I found it so much fun!! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry people make you feel weird about being satisfied with Ellie. People did the same thing to me when I said I didn't want any kids. How could a woman not want kids?! Who are we to judge on a family's decision about children? If only having Ellie is good for you Paul then so be it!! I think it's wonderful and I'm very happy for you guys. It helps that Ellie is such a wonderful child. :)
When you and I talk I never think you're preachy or acting like a know-it-all. You are so good at giving information and you've helped me grow in my faith a lot.