I had previously mentioned being moved by a a woman who signed prayers and songs during church. Watching her is enchanting. This past Sunday, she took her quiet, perhaps even unknown ministry to a completely new level. As the choir warmed up, I noticed she was standing by them, a little off to the side, signing the words to a song. The church provides listening devices to help those who are hard of hearing, and I had noticed that she used one (most likely to be able to hear/understand as much as possible of the homily), so I figured she might have been reading the psalm to get a head start on her understanding of it. But I was wrong. Mass began, and she didn't go back to her usual seat in the pews. The choir opened with their first song, and it was then that I realized that this woman who couldn't use her voice... was singing. She had joined the choir, and sang in the only way she knew how, with her hands, but not just her hands, her whole body. I was not the only person who was mesmerized. Half of the choir wasn't even looking at the director.
I wonder if she realizes the impact she is having. I wonder if she knows that she is showing Jesus to so many people in such a beautiful, unique, and unexpected way. I love the way God uses people to show us another side of His face.
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is SO moving. What an amazing woman!
ReplyDelete