Monday, February 8, 2010

"No pit is so deep that the love of God is not deeper still"

I recently found myself in a rather short and civil discussion on homosexuality, Planned Parenthood, and Focus on the Family. I had forgotten the nervous thrill of discussing controversial topics with people who don't share my same views, but I don't necessarily wish to feel it on any sort of regular basis.

It frustrates me to no end that people say "I would never get an abortion, but I sure am glad it's available to women." Isn't that a hypocrisy? For one person to be in favor of a risky, life-ending, soul-damaging "medical procedure" that she would never undergo but be ok with another person going through that? Where's the compassion? If it's not a good enough choice even for those who favor giving women the choice, then why let it be a choice at all?

Our whole lives are shaped by the choices we make. The discussion on homosexuality centered on whether or not one can choose to be gay and what groups like Focus on the Family do about it. I understand and accept that feelings cannot be avoided or chosen; we feel what we feel, but what we do with those feelings is entirely up to our logical choosing. I'm tired of people making decisions based on feelings instead of reasoning. Acting on feelings is reactionary, a knee-jerk, and in the end, the easy way out. To try to control those feelings and understand where they are coming from takes much more thought, and certainly a lot more courage. None of that is easy. And that's why homosexuals need to be shown compassion--not acceptance of their actions--but certainly not condemnation of them as human beings either. "Love the sinner; hate the sin."

God put us here to love. Hopefully we can love the way He wants us to and forgive those who can't love us.
Yesterday's homily really made me think about forgiveness and compassion. And how starved the world is for both of them.

1 comment:

  1. Ever heard this guy speak?

    http://www.charleslowery.com/home.html

    Remind me to tell you his views on homosexuality (and other "choices") tomorrow. Very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete