Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Perspective and Happiness

I've been listening to the same Peter Kreeft lecture over and over, trying to absorb it all and assess how my own personal happiness and contentment with my life fits in with Christ's concept of happiness. (Not exactly "light listening" for my workouts, but it's something that I desire to wrap my head around... or at least try to.)
The main premise of the lecture is that Christ's happiness is quite different from the world's view of happiness; Christ's happiness is better described as blessedness (see the Beatitudes in Matthew 5:3-10, or just listen to Kreeft's lecture), while the world's happiness is better described as conditional satisfaction.

So then where does that leave me?

I don't recall a time where I have ever felt this at peace with my life. Not much makes me angry or upset. I can take toddler tantrums in stride; messes are no big deal to clean up, and dancing in the sunshine is a daily activity that I relish (as a sidenote, I'm convinced that the weather in Heaven is just like the weather we've been having these days, a revelation that came to me when I asked God if the weather could be like this forever and He said YES--just not in Houston). Small everyday things bring me joy. That which once would have made me cranky for the rest of the day seems to just melt away or run off my back like water on a duck. Is this Christ's happiness? It feels the way I think Heaven would. It certainly must be the closest thing to my little patch of Heaven on Earth. But then... is it too worldly? Do I love it all too much? Too much to let it go, to recognize that it is all a wonderful and beautiful gift from God and that He can take it away just as quickly? I suppose when we have everything we want and nothing to worry about, the only fear that can touch us is the fear of losing it all. And I don't want to fear it because in the end, I still do not have everything. In short, I wonder if my satisfaction with my life is too lukewarm; should I be striving more ardently for Heaven? Since all is in order outside of my soul, should I be cleaning house inside? Should I be working on other parts of me that still have unfulfilled desires or should I just live in the moment, grateful for the rest and peace and fulfillment that God is giving me right now. The words "Be Here Now!" ring out in my brain. Just enjoy. Don't think. But I don't want to become complacent either.

I suppose it's all a matter of how you look at it. Kreeft quotes St. Teresa, saying "In light of heaven, the worst suffering on earth, a life full of the most atrocious tortures on earth, will be seen to be no more serious than one night in an inconvenient hotel." And I believe it. So then what about a life of pretty good stuff with the occasional suffering?

Could it be that part of my (not-so) newfound joy simply stems from my perspective? In talking with other moms, we've ofter discussed that toddlers get upset over the smallest and silliest things. But to them, they are not small nor are they silly. As we grow, our worries grow too, and there is no longer the need to become upset over not wanting to go to bed or eat our vegetables. I've learned to take setbacks in stride; I've learned to relax; I've learned to simply be, to simply trust. Is this what letting go of the reins means? Am I finally doing it? Even my big worries from a few years ago seem like trifles now that I look down from the top of my mountain. I wonder what it all looks like from the vantage point of Heaven? How does God see my current worries, as well as my future ones?

And, lastly, for the sake of overthinking... Is this respite from serious cares a preparation for those to come? Is God allowing me to rest in Him now so I will lean on Him later? If so, I'm sure He knows what He's doing and I will continue to Be Here Now. I'm in a good place. Why would I want to leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment