When I first started running on the dirt track of my YMCA, I had no idea how far I was going. I just ran lap after lap, going clockwise, until I couldn't run anymore. One day, I decided it would be good to know how much distance I was covering, so naturally, week after week I forgot to ask the person at the front desk what the length of the track was. Sometimes during my runs, I would notice the footprints of other runners who had come before me, going in the opposite direction I was going. Finally, the planets aligned and I remembered to ask how long the track was. Satisfied that I got my answer, I headed out for another jog, and for variety's sake, I decided to run counterclockwise this time. Funny how a change in direction can completely change the way we see, as when I went around the first turn, a sign indicating the length of the track greeted me, having been there all this time, just waiting for me to find it.
I haven't been having good runs lately. I can't get past the mental part that tells me I just don't want to do it and I stop before completing even a mile. Time to find a new perspective.

No comments:
Post a Comment