Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mary, not Martha

Yesterday, through several small frustrations, gave me a chance to remember that my main priority is playing in the sand with my child. The rest, it will come. I learned some valuable lessons during those three hours:
7. I am not too good for or above doing anything that is asked of me, and it is my fault if I fail when I don't give my full effort and attention.
6. Some people just don't know how to be kind or polite.
5. I can't make anybody accept my kindness, but I can be polite enough to hold back my hurt feelings.
4. I shouldn't be afraid to ask people to meet my expectations.
3. Doing something out of love is far greater than doing something out of duty.
2. When it comes to family, the line between love and duty is often blurred.
1. The best and most important place I can be on any given evening is playing with my two loves. Everything else can wait.

And when all else fails, there is nothing like searching for little balls with a sand-covered two-year-old to help me remember why I am here.

5 comments:

  1. I have a really, really bad habit of reading things without reading the titles first. Chapters. Blogs. Articles. I read this earlier today but just noticed the title. Love it. That's all. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your defense, I wrote this post on my iPhone at the gym, so it originally had no title. I added it later. Whether that was before or after you failed to notice it, we'll never know, but you get the benefit of the doubt :-) Glad you liked it. Trying to live for what really matters, the better part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke 10:38-42
    http://usccb.org/nab/bible/luke/luke10.htm
    and also... this
    http://www.amazon.com/Having-Mary-Heart-Martha-World/dp/1578562589

    ReplyDelete