Lately, Little has been extra-sensitive/fussy/needy. I don't really mind because it gets me more hugs and chances to hold her close without her instantly wiggling away. I cherish those hugs.
Yesterday, as I held her, she sat up on my lap and looked at me with a wry grin; I thought "she has me completely wrapped around her little finger." And as I looked into those sparkling brown eyes, holding her cheeks in my hands, I was overcome with the realization that she is a person, apart from me, with her own thoughts, wants, needs, and feelings. I understand that my previous statement is pretty obvious, but in that moment, I felt as though a very specific and distinct part of her personality shone through, a part that I had not had the pleasure of meeting yet. I think that is what really caught my attention. As she becomes the person she was made to be, little pieces are slowly unveiled, and in that moment, I was given a clear glimpse of the process.
Perhaps the realization that she is her own person is just the beginning of the very long and painstaking journey toward one day letting her go.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment