There are some footprints, probably of a dog, in the concrete of the sidewalk going past our mailbox. Ever since Little noticed them, we have called them bearprints, and every time we go past them on a walk, we end up searching for and talking about bears. Today took the bear search to a whole new level.
It was one of those days where the weather was so lovely, it brought tears to my eyes. These are they days I look forward to all year. Cool, breezy, sunny, nothing like the past months of scorching heat and stale air we've been plagued with. I could tell it was trying so hard to cool down and turn into fall. Just a few more degrees...
I had a doctor's appointment this morning, so Paul stayed home to care for our Little while I was away. They had a wonderful time together. After my return, I was greeted with picked flowers and stories of an hour-long walk they took around the neighborhood. We went out for lunch, then sent Paul off to work while I took Little home for a nap. After her nap, I took Little on an hour and a half bike ride, with a few stops to slide and swing at a playground and to pet some puppies. Then we headed back home to get dinner ready and eat it. Lovely. Busy. Outside.
Now typically, on Monday nights after dinner, I hang out with my loves for a little while and then go out to knit with a group of local knitters, and tonight was no different, except that Paul needed me to run an errand, so I headed out earlier than usual to get it done before relaxing with needles, yarn, and conversation. This time, however, I didn't want to leave. See, when Little went for a walk with her daddy this morning, they went bear hunting. They found "bear food" (a pecan). They decided bears might be nocturnal creatures, so they would have to return to the hunt at night. After dark. After I left. Little talked about what she would be doing "when it gets dark" all afternoon, as we ate lunch and played on the playground and rode around on the bike. She barely even kissed me goodbye as I headed outside to plant some teddy bears in the bushes for her to find, and I watched her dance in front of the back door, waiting for her daddy to open it after gathering up her bear-hunting supplies. When I came home, Paul told me all about their adventures, and it made me so happy to hear about the sweet memories that my loves made together.
I enjoyed knitting, but a big part of me wished that I could have been there to see that. And a smarter part of me realized that tonight, I didn't go out to have some time to myself (which is why I usually go out Monday nights). Tonight, I went out so that Paul and Little could bond. As I thought about it, it became clear to me that they need time alone together too. Family time is wonderful and precious. Mommy-daughter time is fun and easy. Daddy-daughter time is rare and special. Paul misses out on so many moments, so many memories... would it kill me to give them ONE that they can have for themselves? No. It wouldn't. So while I would have much preferred to go bear-hunting, I am glad that my husband and daughter spent a lovely evening together. There is something to be said about coming home to his smile and declaration: "Our Little is just so... wonderful."
Yes, my love, she is, and I am so glad that you got to experience a piece of what I get all the time, every day.
Monday, September 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment