Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The small stuff

I write this post as I attempt to implement "quiet time" and ignore Little's requests for "Mommy come up please!" We'll see who caves first. The loss of nap time has been difficult, especially being pregnant. But in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that big of a deal. She's healthy, mostly well-rested, and happy. I can cope and go to bed earlier than usual. And naptime is just one of the "small stuff" we mommies tend to "sweat" about.

This Friday, I will sign Little up for preschool. Whoa. Just twice a week, and only four hours a day, but still... preschool. What is funny is that I cannot tell you how many lengthy conversations I've had with fellow mommies about which preschool to choose, how many days a week, for how long the kids should go, if they should go at all, which early childhood learning philosphy is best... it seems like we are putting way too much thought (and in some cases, stress) into something as simple as preschool, which by no means determines our kids' ability to get into a good college or succeed later in life. All I want is a safe, positive place where my kid can go socialize, maybe learn a few things, and give me a break for a few hours in a day. Preschool is one small thing I won't sweat about.

Maybe I'm too laid back about certain parenting issues. I don't read all the books (in fact, I don't read any). I hear parents talk about different discipline and sleep techniques, complicated-sounding things with names and step by step methods... All I've ever done is what comes naturally. Sure, I might consult Google every now and then for some reassurance, but I'd never dream of spending time reading a book that tells me how to do that which already seems like common sense to me.

The only nagging insecurity that crops up in my mind every now and then is the question: Should I be worrying more about these seemingly small things? When I hear friends talking about preschool and discipline like they are life or death situations, I do have to wonder if I am doing enough.

I guess when you add up all the "small stuff," it can become a pretty big picture, but I hope that I can keep my perspective and not let my own small stuff get in the way of me being a good parent for my kids.

After all, they are the most important "small stuff" I've got.


No comments:

Post a Comment