Before I even knew Ellie is a girl, before I even thought of what we could possibly name her, I sat on a beach house balcony, praying for God to help me be a good mother, to help us, in our new marriage, to be good parents, to be a strong family. I told God that I was scared and didn't know what I was doing, but that I trust Him. I didn't feel ready, so I prayed, "You're in charge. This child is yours. You are entrusting this baby to us, but you are the one who will make it all work."
About twelve weeks later, we found out that she is a girl, and a week or so after that, Paul's sister was the one who suggested the name Elizabeth, after Rachel and Olivia were tossed out. We loved it, and she became Elizabeth Susana, or just Ellie, for short.
Only much later do I realize that Elizabeth means "consecrated to God." After my prayers on the morning that I found out she existed, could her name be any more fitting?
Our second daughter, only 18 weeks preborn, has had a name much earlier than her big sister. Unlike her big sister, she wasn't exactly a surprise, and since I had already "been there, done that" in the pregnancy/parenting an infant department, none of the fear or uncertainty was there either. In fact, for months before she came to exist, I prayed for God to open my heart to have another child, if that was His will. I was very reluctant to change our world by bringing another baby into it, probably in part because I'm selfish and lazy, and probably also in part because I didn't (and still don't) want to take anything away from Ellie and our lives already felt so rich, full, and blessed. Nevertheless, He did open my heart, and here we are, almost halfway through this pregnancy, patiently waiting (and sharing in Ellie's excitement) for another little girl to fill our lives with her charm. Her name was much quicker to come to us than Ellie's was. The same day we found out she is a girl, I asked Paul "what about Katherine?" and he said "I was just going to ask you the same thing!" Decided. Her middle name, Ann, was agreed on a few days later. And we call her Katie, which sounds so precious when Ellie says it.
I often wonder what kind of person Katie will be, how she will make our family complete, and what it'll be like for Ellie to have a sister. Katherine means "pure." I pray that she will be true to her name. Ann means "grace" or "favored by God." If that's true in her life, I know it'll be a good one.
By the way, my name means "lily." I like it, but I'm hardly a flower.
Monday, March 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Absolutely beautiful! Bart and I are so happy for you and your growing family!!
ReplyDelete