When Ellie turned 18 months, I started to write letters to her in a journal. I don't write on a schedule or with any regularity, just when time allows and my heart has something to say to her. One day I plan on giving the book to her, maybe when she becomes a mom.
I wrote to her today and reread some letters from the past, from the days when Paul was in Africa, from some good days and some bad days. Now I realize how much simpler life was back then. Our perspective changes everything, and our perceptions change with the seasons.
Now that I have my two girls, it's hard to think of life without both of them, but I remember the days when I just had Ellie and life seems like it was so much simpler, even though I had no idea at the time.
And I get the sneaking suspicion that as my girls grow up, the days gone by will continue to seem simpler than the present... so I am going to make an effort to relish these "simple" days, where hurts are cured with kisses and Ellie's favorite part of the day is, as she says to me, "being with you."
Soon I will need to find a journal for Katie too...
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment