Sunday, January 8, 2012

And at last I see the light

I'm sitting in Katie's dark room, rocking my sweet sleeping baby, not yet ready to lay her in her crib. I can hear giggles coming from the room down the hall as Paul and Ellie tell each other bedtime stories. She isn't ready for him to kiss her goodnight. I hold Katie's tiny hand in mine. Not so long ago, the baby I held and rocked was Ellie. They don't stay little long enough. This afternoon, all four of us fell asleep on the couch. I could hear the rain falling on the roof as I nursed my baby to sleep, while my husband cuddled with our daughter on the other end of the couch. I closed my eyes and felt peace wash over me. Fifteen minutes later, I was awakened by wiggling arms and legs. Sometimes they don't sleep long enough either. This morning, we watched the second half of Ellie's favorite movie, Tangled, and yet again, the scene where Rapunzel finally gets to see the floating lights brought tears to my eyes... The beauty of a dream realized can be wonderfully overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment