Monday, January 2, 2012

Bye Bye "Vacation"

Hi blog. I want to make writing more another one of my resolutions, but I know it's one I most likely can't keep. I should do it, since my writing has lost its goodness (see, I can't even describe it adequately), and I need some sort of mildly mind-stimulating creative outlet because I can only read so many Disney princess books, watch so many Backyardigans episodes, and sing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" so many times before wondering how I ended up in the land of Oz. Alas, there is no escape for me yet. And when it finally does come, I'll probably hate it. I already have mixed emotions about Ellie enjoying playing by herself, and usually it's just in the next room over. (Hooray, I don't have to pretend I'm Princess Aurora and make her say exactly what Ellie dictates to me!... but wait, she's okay playing without me?!). I must be a glutton for punishment. Or maybe I just really like my job, complete with its zero paycheck and lack of vacation or sick days. Except that these past ten days have been just as good as any vacation. I've been spoiled. Paul has been home, and while my duties never fully end, his presence has lightened the load and made our days brighter. I initially had dreaded the loss of our routine, but now I begrudgingly go back to it, wishing we could just stay in this happy little limbo, away from reality and the advancing time that takes away our kids' smallness and life's relative simplicity. Here it is. The end of the closest thing I'll have to a vacation. At least until the next vacation-esque time. And as I think about the past week and a half, all I can do is be grateful. The time seemed perfectly portioned out between rest and play, with some work in between. Celebrating Christmas with both families. Spending time alone with Paul. Sleeping in. Playing dress-up. Watching Paul dance with our daughters. Cooking and baking delicious food. Building and destroying our gingerbread house. Singing. Upholding traditions. Making new ones. Sighing happily. Some vacations overstay their welcome; once they last too long, we are eager to return to "normal," our routine... I don't feel that way this time. Part of me wishes it were longer, but a smarter part of me knows that it was perfect... Any longer and its magic would be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment