Wednesday, March 28, 2012
I love my life... Does that mean I don't love Jesus?
I heard a song on the radio a few days ago about how easy it is to praise God in the good times and feel close to him but not so easy in the bad times. I think I have the opposite problem. He is my comfort, my refuge, my shoulder to cry on, a warm embrace; I never feel closer to Him than when I despair... But when life is good, I often forget to invite Him to the party. Luckily, He isn't afraid to invite Himself.
I think God is answering my prayer to draw me closer to him after what has felt like months of spiritual dryness. Now that life is falling into some semblance of a rhythm, I can start listening again. Just in time too, as it has become increasingly easy to get caught up in worldly matters. We are building a house, so naturally, finances have taken center stage in our conversations and thoughts. And with that, also plans for future enhancements to the house, furniture purchases, and decor choices... It's fun to dream, exciting that some of those dreams will become reality, and easy to forget about God's place in all of this. Like the fact that first and foremost, we are able to have a new house thanks to His abundant blessings. Oftentimes, it's hard to believe how blessed we are, and I try very hard to be thankful and not take this life for granted. But our blessings take the shape of more than mere material goods! In fact, they are not what I should be living for at all. They do not last. They do not matter as much as my soul. I read an article that precisely and convictingly pointed out this truth to me: we are so concerned with success and our worldly wellbeing when our primary concern should be for the salvation of our eternal souls! No worldly goods will save our souls. They can even get in the way of our quest for holiness. And then in last Sunday's Gospel, Jesus tells us quite pointedly that if we love our lives, we will lose them, that we must die to ourselves in order to have eternal life, like the grain of wheat that must fall. Wait, what?! Jesus said I should hate my life? As I listened to those words being read from the gospel, I was holding my sweet smiling baby girl who was bouncing in my arms and babbling a little too loudly for being in Mass. What is Jesus talking about?! I love my life! How could I possibly hate a life that is blessed with this precious baby and the rest of my wonderful family? The priest added some metaphors to make the point even clearer: we must be like salt, which can exist by itself, but doesn't accomplish its purpose unless it ceases to exist by dissolving into the food to add flavor; we must be like the wick of a candle, which will be consumed by the flame in order to give light. So I must not be of this world just because I am in it. I think what I should hate is the materialism and the false idols that get in the way of my relationship with God. My family is my life, but they are both my responsibility to take and my companions with whom to strive toward holiness, not a true worldly distraction from it. I think I have always struggled to understand that scripture because it's hard (for me) to find a balance between appreciating my worldly blessings and yet not living for them. If that makes sense. I still don't know how to do it, but I do know that the more I am given, the more is expected of me to give, so I fearfully pray that God will teach me to be like salt so that I can season and a candle so that I can illuminate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment