Thursday, March 8, 2012

Friends and Family

We had a little friend over for a playdate today, and while ceiling patchwork and bathroom painting took place, I witnessed two little girls help each other put on princess dresses, take turns choosing what to play, share toys and snacks, and play both next to and with each other. Watching them helped me see Ellie better, if that makes sense. I know who she is at home, with family, in our world, but I had never really had the chance to see her public persona because she is instantly different when I'm in the room. There are many times that I wish I could be a fly on the wall in her preschool class, just to know her better, to get an idea of the Ellie she is for the world. The girls played well, though their personality differences became very obvious, especially when it came to attention span length. Ellie just takes her time to do things. She's a thinker. She is detail-oriented and focused. While she dove into her pretend world with a dinosaur, her friend scooped mulch into a wheelbarrow; I guess they are still too young to get lost in fantasyland together, especially with their different styles of playing. Thinker vs. Doer. Of course neither is better than the other. I was really able to appreciate Ellie and understand and accept who she is today. And love her for it all.  I also was stretched a little more by being in charge of a kid with a different personality. I am so used to Ellie and all her ways, that the experience refocused my perspective. She never fails to surprise me. Even in the middle of dancing and giggling with her fellow princess dress-clad friend, she took the time to interact with Katie and invite her sister to dance with them. No sign of being "too cool" for her baby sister here! She loves her because she is part of her family, her everyday life, her comfortable home base... and I think Ellie already understands, probably better than I ever did, that no matter how many friends you have or don't, you will always be able to count on the love of your family. And I am so blessed that my girls already love each other so much. I hope one day they truly understand how blessed they are to be sisters.  As for me, sometimes I wish we ventured out of our family bubble a little more, making connections with friends and acquaintances. Especially so our kids won't be socially awkward. But other times, I just want to wrap myself up in us, and stay in our cozy nest forever because the outside world can so easily disappoint. Seems like my family can be a little slice of Heaven on earth for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment