Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Katie's Quiet Book

I made this for Katie for Christmas, and it recently had to undergo some repairs, so I figured I'd take some pictures to post. Many of the ideas for the pages came from different blogs, all found on Pinterest, but I made all the patterns myself.
http://pinterest.com/szjacobs/katie/

The bear's face and tummy are detachable 
with velcro. 

The apples can be "picked" thanks to buttons
 and button holes.

And there is a surprise under owl's wing!

Inside a red barn are animal finger puppets!

Frog's tongue can catch flies thanks to 
magnets. 

Bird's nest is made up of fun and different 
textures, and she can take out the two eggs 
peeking up from under mama bird.

Katie loves dogs, so this page was a hit. 
The dogs can be pulled along on the ribbon, 
out of the dog houses to eat their bones.

Alligator's mouth zips open to eat some
 colorful fish!

I had to re-do this page because the shapes 
were falling apart from being pulled on. 
The shapes on turtle's back can be snapped 
on and off (which is a difficult skill for her little 
hands, but it's good fine motor practice!)

I'm pretty proud of how the book turned out,
 and she loves it! 

What's even better is that I have a lot of other 
ideas for future pages, and I made the book in 
a way that I can just add more or take out old 
pages. Making and hand-sewing all the pieces 
was definitely a time-consuming labor of love, 
but it's one I enjoy doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment