So it's Mother's Day. Also known as The Day That Never Lives Up To Its Hype. And no matter how many blogs I read that encourage us to let go of the unrealistic expectations we have for this manufactured holiday on which we are supposed to feel appreciated even though there are still dishes and laundry and diapers and sibling squabbles, I still hope that what little celebration I get will make me feel loved or special or just not disappointed at the end of the day. Is that too much to ask for?
No.
And Yes.
I'm living my vocation. Doing what I was made to do. Imperfectly, with mistakes and bad judgment and not always a cheerful disposition. So what did I expect? A medal for my grand accomplishment of doing what I'm supposed to do?
The rewards for motherhood are better than a day of whatever it is I expect but never get.
So in the morning, they'll give me my gifts and cards, we'll go to Mass where Fr. Vincent will sing us his Mother's Day song, and then it'll be back to the usual lunch, nap, groceries, dirty floors, and whining kids. And that will be enough this year. It is my messy crazy motherhood, but I love my kids, and they are enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment