Tuesday, September 1, 2009

If you had permission to do what you really want to do, what would you do?

I just finished reading John Eldredge's Wild at Heart, at the suggestion of my dear husband, and the end, the adventure part, left me asking myself the same questions Eldredge asks his reader. What would I do? If I could? If I weren't afraid? If the risk didn't matter to me?

I would knit. A lot. Open a yarn store. Go to culinary school. Work at a bakery. Take a photography class. Buy a fancy camera. Write a novel. Go back to school to take random classes. Edit books. Own a bookstore. Become a food critic. Travel. A lot.
If all those things seem selfish, here's one more:
I would be a better mom and wife.

How? The how is God's business, according to Eldredge. I just need to figure out the what and go for it.

If only it were that easy. In my brain right now, I cannot fathom how doing all those things doesn't equate to shirking any and all reasonable responsibility.

"Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive"

No comments:

Post a Comment