Thursday, July 22, 2010
On babies and judgment
There's a woman who works at my Kroger. Her name is Kerri, and on my latest stop-in to buy toothpaste for Little, I saw her again, noticeably not pregnant anymore. The last time I had seen her before then, she was fielding all sorts of comments from customers to the effect of "wow, you look like you're about to pop! When are you due?" Which HAD to be annoying. I told her then that I hoped she wasn't too tired on her feet and to have a good day. When I saw her again this week, she saw Little in the shopping cart car and remarked "she's getting so big!" So I asked her about her baby. She beamed with pride, told me he was born in May (the date escapes me), and quickly pulled out her phone to show off all the pictures in which she thought he looked particularly cute. She seemed a little flustered, and confessed that it was her first day back at work after giving birth, that she was tired and hoping she remembered how to do everything her job required. I innocently asked if her son was in daycare or staying with a grandparent while she worked, and then the truth fell out of her mouth: she gave him up for adoption. An open adoption where she sees him at least once a week. Wow. So many thoughts ran through my head. So many feelings... How hard it must have been for her to give up her baby, how brave for her to realize that she couldn't take care of him on her own, how selfish, how smart, how wonderful that she chose life, how awful that she gave him away, what a miracle for this child's new parents... What a complicated thing. I don't know all the details about her life, what compelled her to do all she did, and I don't need to. I tried very hard not to think negative judgmental thoughts (such as how can you complain about being tired?!... you don't have a baby to take care of!) I just stood in awe, and I pray for her and her little one whom she loved enough to let go (mostly).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Holy cow. This just gave me the chills from head to toe. My mouth is still gaping open. Wow.
ReplyDelete