Sunday, September 19, 2010

Things to come

I still love fall. I'm so ready for it. I know, September isn't even over yet and I live in Houston. We still have at least a month before we can start pretending that the leaves will be changing colors and falling from the trees, but the sight of winter squash and pumpkins at the grocery store and the presence of pumpkin spice lattes at my local Starbucks clamor loudly, "fall is here! Fall is here!" I suppose that somewhere, it is. This fall will be different. There are still wonderful things to do, food to bake, fun to be had. But it will also be sad. And lonely. Paul has a long trip to Africa scheduled, and he'll be missing out on some of the best parts of fall. It's a necessary evil. Part of the job. But it will still hang a cloud over my favorite time of the year.
So let's focus on the positive, the exciting things that are to come... and the fun that we want to plan, if we ever get around to it:
Houston Airshow (which means planes will be flying over my house for the next month)
Dewberry Farm (which means pumpkins and goat-feeding and haystacks and fun fun fun)
The Ballunar Festival (which means beautiful photos and an amazed toddler)
Halloween (which means GROWWWLLL!!!)
Dallas for my birthday (so as to not be too lonely)
And, of course, the return of my love (which means Little will go to Grammie's and we will... you know--I jest; he'll probably be more excited to see her than me when he gets back--ok, I jest about that too... sorta.)

So that takes us through fall, for the most part. I'm sure there will be playdates and pumpkin patches and bike rides (oh yes, we bought bicycles!) and other little outings here and there, as the weather and the mood may demand. We're skipping Renfest this year due to lack of time and interest (same thing every year, won't be fun again until we start taking Little). There are very immaterial plans to start a non-league couples' bowling league, have a gingerbread house making contest, and go to the Chocolate Bar. We'll see when/if those things happen.

Fall always has me looking forward. Excited with anticipation, days full of... fullness. I pray that this fall still brings those same feelings, even though it will be different. A way to grow, I suppose (ironically, as everything ceases to grow).

No comments:

Post a Comment